In July 2019, SamTrans launched Reimagine SamTrans, a Comprehensive Operational Analysis (COA). COAs are in-depth studies that analyze transit agency services. Reimagine SamTrans will pinpoint the strengths and challenges in the current system while utilizing data and public input to identify ways to improve SamTrans service.
Reimagine SamTrans will seek to:
- Improve the experience for existing SamTrans customers
- Grow new and more frequent ridership on SamTrans
- Build SamTrans’ efficiency and effectiveness as a mobility provider
With the passage of Measure W in 2018, SamTrans has a unique opportunity to adapt its bus system to meet the changing needs of San Mateo County.
Reimagine SamTrans launched in July 2019 and will require about 18 months to complete.
- Fall 2019: Public outreach; analyze the current state of the SamTrans bus system; conduct market research on what riders and potential riders want out of SamTrans bus service
- Winter 2019-20: Develop a shared vision for the project and guidelines for how SamTrans will design bus service
- Spring 2020: Develop up to three alternative route changes for each route in the system
- Summer 2020: Public outreach; receive input on alternatives for each route and how those routes fit together into one bus system; develop a preferred bus system based on input
- Fall 2020: Public outreach; conduct outreach on a single proposed bus system; refine and develop plan for implementing new bus system
- Winter 2020-21: SamTrans Board adoption of new bus system
- Summer 2021: Implementation of updated bus route network
10/7/19 - jl