Drive With Us
Due to the COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders, San Mateo County Transit District is instituting an immediate suspension on bus operator recruitment. Please contact 650-508-6308 for further information.
For more information on SamTrans and COVID-19, visit our update page.
Become a Bus Operator at SamTrans
When deciding your future career path, have you ever considered becoming a Bus Operator? Make a difference in your community! Being a Bus Operator has a variety of rewarding benefits, exciting opportunities, and so much more. Other career paths take years of training, endless loans, and potentially attending a college or university.
If you are an independent self-starter who likes working with people, consider choosing a career as a Bus Operator at SamTrans. Bus Operators transport people to a variety of locations in our communities, including work, school and recreational activities. Transit bus driving can involve working in the early mornings, late at night or on weekends, allowing Bus Operators substantial time off during regular workday hours.
Previous Bus Operator or commercial driving experience is not required. We will provide an eight (8) week paid training program consisting of both classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction. This is an excellent opportunity to learn transit from the ground up.
SamTrans has an excellent compensation and benefits package. Read below to find out how you can become a Bus Operator for SamTrans and make a difference in your community!
Bus Operator Duties
- Safely operate a variety of transit vehicles to transport passengers along fixed-routes
- Perform safety inspections and report equipment defects
- Collect fares, announce stops and provide general information to the riding public
- Follow maps, timetables and notices
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- One year of fulltime customer service or public contact experience
- Must have a valid Class “C” California Driver’s License with two (2) years of continuous good driving record
- Must be able to obtain and present a Class “B” Commercial Learner’s Permit with both Passengers and Air Brake Endorsements at time of New Hire Orientation
1. Minimum Qualification Screening and Written Multi-Choice Exam
2. In-Person Interview and review of DMV driving record (K-4)
3. Background Investigation including employment and criminal records
4. DOT required Physical exam, drug and alcohol screening
5. Obtain Class B commercial learner’s permit with Passenger and Air Brake at time of Orientation
6. Paid training program of up to 10 weeks (curriculum includes Driving Skills to obtain Commercial B Driver’s License and SamTrans’ policies and procedures)
Upcoming Training Class Schedule (*subject to change)
Bus Operator Class No.
|Tentative Training Date||Expected Graduation Date|
|162||January 2020||March 2020|
|163||March 2020||May 2020|
|164||June 2020||August 2020|
|165||August 2020||October 2020|
|166||November 2020||January 2021|