SamTrans is committed to supporting sustainability in the San Francisco Bay Area. SamTrans promotes sustainability by providing affordable, accessible, environmentally beneficial mobility options to help people get to where they live, work and play. Its Sustainability Program monitors the agency’s operational impacts on communities and the environment, and finds ways to lessen those impacts. SamTrans also encourages environmental stewardship by its employees, customers and partners.
Sustainability Benefits of Riding Public Transit
SamTrans riders promote sustainability in many ways that benefit the community. By:
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and climate change impacts: use this Carbon Savings Calculator to estimate how transit can reduce your carbon footprint.
- Decreasing fossil fuel consumption
- Saving money- riding SamTrans provides significant savings over Bay Area driving costs
- Mitigating traffic congestion
- Improving regional air quality
Sustainability Program Framework
Sustainability is a key component of SamTrans’ vision and Strategic Plan. The San Mateo County Transit District’s Sustainability Policy summarizes SamTrans’ commitment to integrating sustainability into standard operating procedures and long-term decision-making.
SamTrans is a strong supporter of the American Public Transportation Association’s Sustainability Program and participates in the annual Sustainability & Public Transportation Workshop as well as APTA’s Sustainability committees. In 2010, the District became a founding signatory to the APTA Sustainability Commitment. SamTrans holds the Silver Level APTA Sustainability Commitment certification.
2021 Adaptation and Resilience Plan
SamTrans prepared an Adaptation and Resilience Report assessing the vulnerability of SamTrans’ facilities, fleet, and riders to climate impacts.
2019 Sustainability Report
In 2020, SamTrans published its second sustainability report, including data from 2017 and 2018. Key achievements during the reporting years include:
- GHG emissions reduced by over 9% in the last two years
- Reducing facility electricity usage by approximately 5%
- Decreased diesel usage 6%
- Brought Criteria Air Pollution generation down 14%
To read the report, click HERE
2017 Sustainability Report
In 2017, SamTrans published its first Sustainability Report, which summarizes key environmental sustainability achievements and trends for SamTrans operations in FY2010 through FY2016. Key achievements include:
- Facility energy use declined by more than 26 %
- In response to California’s
- historic drought, SamTrans implemented a number of water-saving conservation measures, and decreased water consumption by more than 33%
- In FY2016, SamTrans generated 4,754 fewer metric tons of GHGs compared to FY2010
Sustainability in Action
View examples of SamTrans’ commitment to sustainability in operating and maintenance programs, capital projects, long-term planning and everyday business practices.
December 2018- SamTrans Community Choice Energy Program Update
February 2017 - Update on Community Choice Energy and SamTrans Electricity Service
September 2015 - SamTrans Water Consumption and Conservation
July 2014 - Sustainability Program Update
April 2011 - Sustainability Program Overview
January 2011 - Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory