FY2020 Proposed Fare Changes
SamTrans’ fare policy outlines fares for services offered by the County’s bus system. This policy exists as a legal document known as the Codified Tariff. SamTrans is exploring potential changes to its Codified Tariff, which requires the agency to seek public comment on the proposed changes and hold public meetings.
After the Public Hearing on July 10, 2019, the Board will consider a final proposal of Codified Tariff changes for adoption. If approved, implementation of the changes will take place by 2020.
SamTrans Fare Policy (PDF, 147KB, Jan. 2019)
Here is a brief explanation of these changes:
- Saving Riders Money - These changes are designed to keep the system affordable and accessible to everyone, and to remove barriers that drive people away from riding.
- Postponing the scheduled 2019 fare increase and keeping the adult base fare at $2.25
- Reducing cost of day pass to $4.50 and Youth/Eligible Discount to $2.20
- Instituting free transfers
- Applying local fare to routes 292, 397, & 398
- Modernizing the System -
These changes move away from outdated business practices by reducing costs without negatively impacting service.
- Replacing metal tokens with paper and eliminating the additional token discount
- Removing change cards
- Eliminating 50-ticket ride book
- Eliminating group sales practice
- Enabling Innovation - These changes reflect new programs SamTrans is launching in the coming months, allowing the agency to innovate in response to San Mateo County’s changing transportation needs.
- Modifying definition of Express Service and setting the Adult cash fare at $4.50
- Adding Express Service fare product
- Adding Microtransit service definition
- Adding On-Demand Taxi Fare Subsidy Pilot Program and setting the maximum subsidy at up to $20
For more information come to one of the following public meetings:
- May 29, 4:30 - 5:30PM - SamTrans, 1250 San Carlos Ave, San Carlos, CA
- June 4, 10:30 - 11:30AM - 33 Arroyo Dr, South San Francisco, CA Betty Weber Room
- June 5, 5:00 - 6:00PM - 535 Kelly Ave, Half Moon Bay, Ted Adcock Community Center
- June 18, 11AM* - Virtual Public Meeting - (Live Online Event).
*The Virtual Meeting will require a YouTube (Google) login to participate. The Virtual Meeting will go live at 10:45AM PST and the presentation will begin at 11AM PST. Chat will be available for participants to ask questions until 12PM PST. Official comments on the fare proposal must be submitted through email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- SamTrans Proposed Fare Changes Community Presentation (PDF, 184KB, June 2019)
- July 10, 2PM - SamTrans Headquarters, 1250 San Carlos Ave, San Carlos, CA
Submit Your Comments
The public comment period has closed.
If you require translation services, please call SamTrans Customer Service at 1-800-660-4287 to request an interpreter three business days prior to the meeting or hearing.