Helpful Rider Tips
SamTrans launched a Marketing Campaign in the spring of 2015 to provide tips on ways to make customers' rides more pleasant. See below for a list of the most popular tips from our Bus Operators.
- Customer carry-on items may be brought on the bus if they can be held by the passenger & don’t take up seat space.
- Board by the front door and exit out the back door (unless you need to let the operator know you're getting your bike off the rack)
- Always use earphones to keep noise pollution onboard to a minimum.
- Wait until the bus pulls away from the stop before crossing the street.
- Please reserve the priority seats in the front of the bus for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Remember to take your trash with you. Keep the bus clean for the next customer.
- Watch and listen for special announcements and notices onboard the bus.
- When the bus approaches your stop – especially at night – be sure you wave at the bus operator so he or she knows you want to be picked up.
- Our buses have video cameras. Behave appropriately.
- If the bus is crowded and customers are standing, please move towards the back to make room for others.
- Play it safe. Try to be at your bus stop early.
- We take pride in providing clean buses. Please help keep our buses clean: don’t put anything dirty on seats, including feet and soiled items.
- If you see a suspicious package, don’t touch it. Tell the operator or call Transit Police (1-877-723-7245).
- Exiting through the rear door (on buses with back doors) avoids congestion with those boarding. (Use the front door if getting your bike off the rack.)
- Remember to take all your belongings with you. If you forget something on the bus, report it at www.samtrans.com/lost.
- Pull/push the "Stop Request" in time for a safe stop. If you don't know what stop to use, tell the bus operator your destination. We're here to help.
- Know your fare before you go. www.samtrans.com/fares
- Be courteous and share the seat. Keep your bags and other belongings on your lap or under the seat in front of you.
- Remove child and fold stroller before bus arrives.
- Pay as you board. Using Clipper speeds the process and it’s convenient.
- Keep your backpack, bags and other belongings out of the aisle. Clear path = safe path.
- When walking to the door or changing seats, use handrails and seatback handles for your safety.
- Have fare ready and pay before taking a seat.
- Enjoy your ride!
12/29/16 - rjc