Veterans Mobility Corps Volunteer
The SamTrans Veterans Mobility Corps is made up of volunteers who are veterans themselves. We will train the Veteran Volunteers to help veterans to safely use public transportation, and to organize and lead group trips on public transit to places of interest in San Mateo County and the Bay area. Volunteers visit veterans’ centers, meetings, VA medical and congregate living facilities to encourage other veterans to take advantage of this free program.
Applicants must meet the following criteria.
- Be a Veteran at least 18 years of age, mature, and conscientious
- Complete a comprehensive training program in planning trips and teaching others how to ride public transit
- Commit to volunteer an average of 3-4 hours a week for at least 6 months
- Pass a background check and have proof of Honorable Service
- Attend at least 3 quarterly meetings (counted as volunteer hours) with fellow volunteers
- Have an active email account
Successful volunteers often have one or more of the following skills.
- Experienced with or willing to learn about using various forms of public transportation, including SamTrans and Caltrain
- Enthusiastic about helping others maintain or increase their mobility
- Able to work patiently and respectfully with veterans of all ages and abilities
- Self-directed and able to work independently
- In possession of good problem-solving and communication skills
- Seeking opportunities to help fellow veterans
BENEFITS TO VETERANS MOBILITY CORPS VOLUNTEERS
- Pride in knowing they have helped fellow veterans stay mobile and connected to their communities at a time in their lives when mobility is essential to physical and mental well-being
- Flexible training and volunteering schedules
- Networking opportunities where new relationships and collaborations can be cultivated
- Up-to-date toolkit with information about San Mateo County and surrounding area transit services
- Honored at internal and community volunteer recognition events
- Free monthly SamTrans bus pass
Alternatively, you can also download our application and submit it through email or mail or dropping off in person.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or Drop off:
Jean Conger, Senior Mobility Project Coordinator
1250 San Carlos Avenue, 3rd Floor
P.O. Box 3006
San Carlos, CA 94070