Paratransit is a transportation service for persons with disabilities who cannot independently use regular SamTrans bus service some of the time or all of the time. The San Mateo County Transit District provides Redi-Wheels service on the bayside of the county and RediCoast on the coastside.

We’ve anticipated a lot of the questions you may have about Redi-Wheels and RediCoast. If you still have questions after reading this information guide, please don’t hesitate to call SamTrans at 1-800-660-4287 or (TDD only) 650-508-6448.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, better known as ADA, is federal legislation that guarantees persons with disabilities full and equal access to the same services and accommodations that are available to people without disabilities.

The ADA requires public transit operators to provide paratransit service to persons with disabilities that is comparable to the level of fixed-route service provided. Persons with disabilities who cannot independently ride fixed-route transit may be eligible for paratransit service.

Only those persons whose disabilities prevent them from using regular bus service, all of the time or some of the time, are eligible. This eligibility criterion comes from the Americans with Disabilities Act. All of SamTrans’ buses are accessible, and many persons with disabilities are able to use the regular fixed-route bus service.

An applicant will be eligible if any of the following three conditions are met: Applicant is unable to independently board or disembark, identify correct vehicle or stop, maintain balance on the vehicle, understand directions needed to complete a trip, or perform any of the usual tasks associated with using the bus; Or The bus service is not accessible to the applicant, i.e. the bus lift cannot be deployed at the stop the applicant uses; Or Applicant is unable to travel independently to or from the bus stop.

Redi-Wheels serves San Mateo County, east of Highway 280, plus the towns of Woodside and Portola Valley.

Redi-Wheels also serves the City of Palo Alto north of Embarcadero Road, the Palo Alto Veterans Administration medical center, the Peninsula Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired and the REACH program. (Palo Alto trips may be reserved as long as they begin or end in San Mateo County.)

RediCoast serves the mid- and southern San Mateo County Coastside from south of Devil’s Slide to the border of Santa Cruz County. This area includes Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada, Princeton, Half Moon Bay, San Gregorio, La Honda and Pescadero.

Paratransit also serves the Stonestown area and Bayshore corridor of San Francisco. A transfer into San Francisco can be arranged by contacting service providers in San Francisco. A transfer to Santa Clara County can be arranged by calling Outreach.

Redi-Wheels operates seven days a week, including holidays, from 5:30 a.m. to midnight and up to 24 hours in some areas (call 650-508-6241 for more information). RediCoast operates from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and holidays.

Each one-way trip costs $4.25.  Paratransit passengers may pay their fare with cash, 10-ride tickets or the SamTrans Mobile app.  For more information, please visit the How to Buy page.

If one of the eligibility conditions listed above applies to you: Call 650-366-4856 to request an application. The Transit Evaluator will contact you to schedule an interview. Please be sure to fill out the application completely.

If you are qualified, SamTrans will mail a registration card and reservation information packet to you within 21 days after your completed interview.

Within 21 days, you will receive a letter explaining why you are not eligible. The letter also will explain how you can appeal the decision.

You can use paratransit for any purpose as long as the trip is within the service area.

Yes. A personal care attendant may ride free if you are certified to ride with an attendant. When you reserve a ride, you must let the reservationist know that an attendant will be traveling with you.

Yes, but you must let the reservationist know that you will have a companion with you. Your companion also must pay the $4.25 fare for each one-way trip. If you have more than one companion, he or she may ride on a space-available basis only.

No. State law prohibits Redi-Wheels or RediCoast from taking students to or from school.

Yes. Riders may call to reserve a trip up to 7 days in advance.

No. Paratransit vehicles are prohibited from traveling on private property or driveways.

Yes. Drivers are instructed to provide assistance when necessary. A driver may assist you between your door and the vehicle if the distance is no greater than 20-25 feet and the passenger door of the vehicle is in full view of the driver.

Drivers can:

  • Help fasten lap belt
  • Assist sight-impaired passengers
  • Assist with wheelchair maneuvering
  • Offer an arm for stability
  • Carry up to four standard grocery bags, bags , in 1 trip, with a maximum weight of 20 pounds
  • Open the front door at your pick up or drop-off location

Drivers cannot:

  • Enter a residence.
  • Lift or carry any wheelchair
  • Enter a building to look for a passenger
  • Access some driveways and parking lots
  • Lose sight of the vehicle for more than a few moments
  • Maneuver the vehicle in a way that could be hazardous, including backing out of a driveway

Redi-Wheels and RediCoast can take any mobility device that can be safely boarded and transported, including wheelchairs, three and four-wheel scooters, etc. It is recommended that customers transfer from the scooter to a seat in the vehicle, if possible.

For guidance on using an Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device, such as a Segway, call the SamTrans Accessibility Services at 650-508-6241 before you book your trip.

Yes. While riding in a vehicle, the service animal is required to sit, stand or lay on the floor of the vehicle and may not block the aisle. Service animals are permitted to ride on your lap if necessary for them to perform their function.

No. The reservationist will determine if your ride will be by a small bus, mini-van or sedan.

Yes. SamTrans offers travel training, free of charge, to teach people with disabilities to ride SamTrans buses and Caltrain, when possible. Instructors provide one-on-one training. For more information, please call 650-508-6202 or (TDD only) 650-508-6448.