SamTrans buses are equipped with bike racks, which hold three bikes. Two additional bikes are allowed inside the bus, depending on passenger loads. Electric bikes (e-bikes) are only allowed to ride on racks.
There is no guarantee that there will be space on any specific bus for your bike.
SamTrans is not responsible for damages to or caused by bicycles on SamTrans property or vehicles.
Bikes that meet the following criteria can ride
Bikes with a single-seat.
E-bikes (front rack only; not inside bus).
- weight: 55 pounds.
- wheelbase: 44 inches.
- tire width: 2.3 inches.
These bikes can NOT ride
Bikes with gas engines.
Bikes with 3 or more wheels.
Age & Abilities
There is no age limit for riders using the bike racks or bringing bikes on board the bus.
However, riders must be able to load and unload their bikes without help from the operator.
- Before the bus arrives remove all detachable items from the bike, such as bags, air pumps, and water bottles.
- Always load and unload your bike from the curb side of the bus.
- If the rack is stowed, squeeze the silver release handle on the top and lower the rack from its upright position.
- Lift your bike into the rack, putting the front wheel where indicated on the rack. (The first bike in the rack should be loaded in the position closest to the bus.)
- Pull the support arm up and over the front tire as close to the frame as possible. The support arm should rest securely on the front tire only, not on the bike's frame.
- Board the bus and pay your fare. Sit as close to the front as possible, to keep your bike in view at all times.
- When approaching your stop, let the bus driver know you will unload your bike and then exit through the front door of the bus.
- Lift the support arm from the bike's tire and lower it to the magnet on the rack.
- Take your bike out of the rack.
- If the rack is empty, raise the rack up against the bus.
Lost or Unclaimed Bikes
All unclaimed bikes left on racks will be sent to SamTrans Lost and Found.
Information on missing bikes may be obtained 48 hours after the loss by filling out the online Lost and Found form or by telephone: 1-800-660-4287 (TDD only 650-508-6448).
Lost and Found articles may be picked up between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday at 1250 San Carlos Ave., San Carlos.
For more information, call 1-800-660-4287 or TDD only 650-508-6448.
Get service updates by email or SMS