SamTrans is proud of its safety and security record. For your safety, all activities on the bus are recorded on video and audio to aid in the prosecution of any crime committed, including vandalism.
If it's an emergency, immediately call 911.
See Something Say Something: If you see anything suspicious or witness an unlawful activity, please let the bus operator know or call the Transit Police at 1-877-723-7245.
Customer should always be alert to their surroundings, including other people in the area. Wait for the bus in a lighted area. Many of the SamTrans shelters have lights powered by the sun.
Transit Travel Tips
After boarding the bus, hold on to the railings and steady yourself to prevent falls when walking through the bus; familiarize yourself with bus exits; and listen for announcements.
To have the best ride possible, please follow these transit tips:
- Plan your trip. SamTrans bus operators will stop only at designated bus stops, so know in advance exactly where you want to get off. If you're not sure if the bus stops where you want to get off, ask the bus operator.
- Be prepared to board the bus as soon as it arrives. All strollers must be folded before boarding and stowed under the seat. Have fare ready.
- Shirts and shoes are required.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted onboard the bus
- Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is not permitted on buses or at bus stops.
- Please yield the seats behind the operator to seniors or customers with disabilities.
- For safety reasons scooters must be folded and put away to be allowed on SamTrans. Non-folding scooters are not permitted.
- Radios and music players are allowed with earphones only.
Keep cell phone calls to a minimum and speak quietly when in use.
- Pull the "Stop Request" cord before the bus reaches your destination bus stop.
- If you use the bike rack, let the bus operator know that you will be removing your bike from the front rack before you get off the bus.
- Please exit the bus via the rear door (unless you need to remove your bike), allowing boarding passengers the use of the front door.
- Enjoy the ride.
SamTrans partners with the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office, and their Transit Bureau.
See how SamTrans is keeping our customers safe; visit our Healthy Transit page.