Background and Summary
Reimagine SamTrans is a plan to redesign the entire SamTrans bus system. Since 2019, SamTrans has conducted three rounds of public outreach, as well as existing conditions evaluation and market research. Three alternative SamTrans networks with potential service changes were developed in Winter 2021 and made public for community input during Spring 2021.
A final proposed network was developed in Summer 2021, followed by a final round of public input in Fall 2021. SamTrans staff carefully considered all the input received and made some adjustments to the final recommended network based on public and stakeholder input.
The recommended new bus system is designed to:
- Prioritize Equity – Prioritize buses to high-need communities from underused and duplicate routes
- Improve Efficiency – Create faster, reliable service through more direct and consolidated routes
- Expand Connections – Provide expanded all-day service, and more service to transit hubs and job center
The recommended new bus network includes changes to many existing routes in the SamTrans system, including the streets the routes operate on and the frequency, days and hours of operation. Implementation of the final network is anticipated to occur over multiple phases beginning in Summer 2022.
The SamTrans Board of Directors adopted the final Reimagine SamTrans plan at its regularly-scheduled meeting on March 2, 2022.
Reimagine SamTrans Final Plan
The final project report may be downloaded with or without appendices below:
- Final Reimagine SamTrans project report – Summary only
- Final Reimagine SamTrans project report – With Appendices
Title VI Report
The Title VI report associated with Reimagine SamTrans may be accessed from: https://www.samtrans.com/riderin-formation/Title-VI.html.
The Final Negative Declaration for Reimagine SamTrans may be downloaded below:
- Final Negative Declaration – Reimagine SamTrans